Monday, November 27, 2017

1st and 2nd Grade Art

Following the construction project of the literature unit, the students asked if they could build with wood in the Maker Space. I agreed and gave the class lessons on how to safely hammer pieces of wood together, how to sand the wood and how to choose the correct size nail for the pieces they wanted to join. They worked carefully (and loudly) pounding in nails and enjoyed the process. I like the balance of the structured projects and the free exploration of materials. I find so much value in the learning process through trial and error with this group and I will keep developing challenging projects to stretch their creative muscles!

This is actually a 3rd graders work, I did not get a photo of the 1st/2nd grade work
Next step for the Maker Space- appropriate sized work benches!

No comments:

Post a Comment