Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Ratner Montessori School Art Program

We are now two weeks into our clay unit and the students are all learning so much. I wanted to give every grade level the opportunity to just experience working with clay without having a set project to begin with. Honestly, in the past I just wanted the clay unit to pass as quickly as possible, so I jumped right into each project. I am trying a different approach this year and it seems to help the students understand the material more. I figured an extra week of mess and chaos in the art room would be tolerable if the students were able to understand the properties of clay better. I still do not love working with clay, but I am getting better with the level of maintenance and have a clearer system after 15 years of presenting clay. Wish me luck!


Image result for terracotta clay pit

A Missouri  clay mine
                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment