Monday, January 22, 2018

The Ratner School Art Program

Thanks for your patience in waiting for the art blog, I think I am now back in the groove of setting up the classroom, prepping for a new unit across all grade levels and recovering from snow days.
Over the winter break, the art department received a generous donation of 350 pounds of terracotta clay from MOCA! We are so thankful for the donation and have been working across all the grades creating clay sculptures, bowls, banks and jugs. For those parents who know me well, you understand that clay is not my medium of choice. I am often learning along with the students, but had the opportunity to have a private class with one of Cleveland's remarkable ceramicists, Lynne Lofton. She helped me develop several new projects and taught me many techniques to help the students. I am grateful for her assistance and for the school supporting my ongoing clay education. 
If you happen to be in the University Circle area in the next 2 weeks, stop by CIA (Cleveland Institute of Art) to view the Scholastic Art Awards. I am very proud of all the 7th and 8th grade students who entered the competition and am impressed with the level of work they created. Congratulations to Meg, Simon, Forest, Allison and Vlad E. for their awards.

A beautiful winter scene captured by Nadia Vinogradov-Carek

No comments:

Post a Comment